Thursday, May 10, 2012

Welcome to my adventure

I imagine anyone reading this thing knows who I am, so I am going to dispense with the formalities for now. My best friend suggested I track my progress of my fight to get my life back and I try not to disagree with him when he is right, but do not tell him that.

So here we are, well, here I am. 31 years old and fighting the exact same fight I have been fighting my entire life, only it has not been much of a fight. I have always been a big guy. I will always be a big guy. I am built to be broad and big. As a youth I was incredibly active, but still bigger than everyone else. My level of activity did not matter to the kids who teased me mercilessly, and instead of fighting back, I found solace in food. I still do. I never pushed back, metaphorically, of course. I do not condone violence. Instead of getting myself charged up and taking control of my life, I let my life control me. I have always let my weight control me.

Okay,, I do not want to get insanely dark here on the first post, but I have write a bit of that because I have to get myself comfortable with really looking at myself and the issues that led me to this point. This specific point in time when I decided I needed to make a change. There will be times when this blog gets really tough for me, and probably anyone who reads it. I wish I could say every posting was going to be funny or motivating, but this is a fight. Fights have ugliness in them and there will be ugliness. I hope that anyone who reads this can understand that and is willing to let me have those ugly moments. This is a very scary idea, documenting this change for the internet. The internet is a mean place and I am insanely self conscious. So why do it? I think it will help me hold myself accountable. I have a friend who is posting a food journal on-line in hopes it will help her change her habits, in order to assess my own teaching style, I had to watch myself teach and look at myself in a very real way. In a way, this blog will become my video camera, my mirror with which to stare at myself to try and value this idea of changing who I am.

It may take me a little while to get my blogging feet under me and I expect the first few posts will have a good portion of that previous darkness I wrote of. I need to get some of these things out in the world, so anyone tracking this journey with me can gain some understanding. I think I have always attacked this fight from a pure physical place in the past, but for me, this is not just a journey of physical health. This requires an entire change of culture for who I am, who I always have been: The fat funny guy, or the fat cuddly guy.

Okay, onto some of the semantics of my journey. I imagine this journey as having phases. I have not thought further than phase 2 right now, but here is the plan as of now:

Phase 1: Now until Summer Vacation
1. Kill the soda
2. No fast Food burgers
3. Cook more so I can control the salt that goes in. This will mostly be fish.
4. 30 minutes of walking a day
5. Stop eating crap after 7pm
Phase 2:
1. No Fast Food
2. Stop eating junk food
3. 60 minutes of physical activity a day. Probably a lot of swimming.
4. Generally not eat after 9pm.

This is certainly not an all-inclusive situation and as I do my best to research what is best for me, I will be making changes that I will update on the blog.


Okay, enough of an introduction! Tomorrow, I will post how my first few days went. There will be ups, there will be downs, and there will be a police stand off.


OOOH. Last thing

The following is a list of important people that will probably make appearances in this blog, if I get their permission to use their names after this post:

Erik: Best friend, spiritual adviser, motivator, inspiration
Martina: insanely wonderful girlfriend, support system, motivator
Christina: Roommate, best friend, support system
Raymond: Beautiful dog, walking partner

5 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you!!! I have this blog bookmarked so I can't wait to see what happens.

    -Erik

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it! Just look at me and Erik. Good Luck!

    -Jon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you kyle. Your posts keep me entertained, so I expect nothing less here. I wish you luck in this new journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyle, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor to change your life. Having struggled with weight my entire life, I know it is comprised of many complex issues and aspects of our sense of who we are. It looks like you have a great plan and the support of good people. Congratulations. I look forward to following your progress.

    ReplyDelete