Sunday, May 27, 2012

Salt and Pepa's here and we in effect


Salt, salt salt. Just saying the word makes me all kinds of happy. The saltier a food is, the better. Only once in my life did I ever put too much salt on something. To me, "Too salty" does not exist. I have always been the kind of guy who would put salt on something before even tasting it because I knew there was not enough. This presents a massive problem when trying to lose weight. If you recall the first entry into this blog I had mentioned how I was wanting to cook more so I could control the amount of salt that went into my food. This, along with the soda thing, has been the hardest part of the last few weeks.

However, I have managed. I have used other spices when needed and have avoided salting everything except movie theater popcorn. SOrry, that is probably not going anywhere anytime soon. I have made tremendous strides and part of that is never ordering french fries, anywhere. I am avoiding fast food, but diners and other eateries still offer fries as a side dish. By opting for a salad of some sort, I manage to avoid the salt problem easily. I only bring up the salt thing because something pretty remarkable happened on Wednesday of this last week.

Martina and I went to eat at Burgers and Brew, followed by a walk through the Farmer's Market and I used up my free frozen-yogurt coupon at Yoloberry. I ordered a salad as my side dish, and they brought me a Caesar salad, which is not what I wanted, but I ate it anyway. I took one bite and was absolutely shocked by how salty it was. This was a monumental moment for me. I have been avoiding putting salt on ANYTHING and here I am eating something and finding it to be too salty. Now, I ate it because when you do not have money, you eat what you can, but it was probably the least enjoyable salad of my life. I cannot even fathom living an existence where I find food to be too salty, yet, here I am. This is a big step for me. It also means it is working. Something inside of me is changing.

In other news:

I went for my first walk with my new shoes, and accessories. To come home from a great walk and not feel insane pain in my feet was amazing!

I bought groceries and did not buy any chips, candy, or processed food. I have a fridge full of vegetables and fruits and a cupboard with nuts and tuna in it. I also bought frozen chicken, even though I am not a big chicken guy and have no idea what to do with it.

My craving for soda persists. Everyone tells me it will go away, but as a guy who gave it up for nearly 2 years once, it does not go away. I continue to crave it something fierce and probably always will.

FOr those of you interested in my total weight loss, it is at 15lbs in the last 3 weeks or so. I do not expect a pace of 5lbs a week to continue, nor will I get bummed out when it slows down.

I am waking up with slightly less aches and pains. My days are just a bit easier, and I am not as out of breath all of the time. I could tell that from my audition and call back this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment