Sunday, April 10, 2016

"If you don't like that...you don't like KINGS basketball"


The current Arco Arena (I know, Sleeptrain, but it will always be Arco to me) opened in time for the 1988-1989 basketball season. The Kings, who had moved from Kansas City in 1985, opened the arena, which was the cheapest NBA building. My family moved to the Sacramento area in December of 1988. I do not know a Sacramento area world without the Sacramento Kings playing in Arco. It was not to long after we got settled that my dad took me to see Rodney McCray, Kenny Smith, Wayman Tisdale, and the others for my first time. It was the birth of mt first and only Love/Hate relationship. Being a Kings fan in the late 80s, early 90s, mid 90s, late 2000s and early and mid 2010s has brought more tears than laughter, but it is our plight to bare.
For years we had a routine, my dad and I, and occasionally a sibling or two. For a long time the Kings offered game plans, where you could pick from a few different packages of anywhere from 7-15 games to get tickets to. My dad would buy the family 2 seats for one of the those packages and he would switch off who he would take. I have no idea if the routine was the same with the rest of the siblings, but for my dad and I, we would first stop at Long John Silver's for dinner because my mom hated the smell of fish and we never got it at home. After dinner, we drove to Arco, climbed the steep steps and took our seats at the top row, or next to last row, and because my dad had work early, with about five minutes left in the game, we would leave our seats and catch the rest of the game on the move. We tried to time it so we were exiting the arena as soon as the game ended and we could beat everyone out of the parking lot. We were never concerned with the freeway because we were going the opposite way of everyone else.

Much like The San Francisco Giants, the Sacramento Kings hold so many wonderful memories of my family, of my friends, and it all stems from Arco Arena. I can remember driving to Arco back when the area was a vast expanse of nothingness with an arena in the middle of it. I remember dreaming of playing on that court when my dad set up our basketball hoop at our house. All I wanted in the world from 1990-1995 was to be Lionel "L Train" Simmons but with Mitch Richmond's jump shot. I must have practiced my Richmond jump shot hundreds of times a day.

I remember when Billy Owens refused to come to Sacramento and somehow the Warriors were willing to part with one third of Run-TMC and brought The Kings its biggest star in that era. I remember when the KIngs used to host a draft viewing experience in Arco, and my dad and I would go every year to watch the draft live at the arena. The arena booed like crazy when they drafted Peja Stojakovic because his European contract was not up yet, and we had to wait two years to see him in the Kings uniform. It turned out to be worth the wait!

I have lived through eternal heartbreak as a fan of this team, and its dumpy arena personifies that. It, like the Kings, can be tough to love most of the time, but when you really think about the memories, you cannot help but love it. Nothing in this world has ever made me feel pride in the city where I was raised like Arco Arena during the 1998-2005 seasons. I had never experienced that much energy, emotion, love, and joy. Those Chris Webber led Kings teams were a wonder to behold. Webber, Divac, Peja, Bibby, J-Will, Bobby Jackson, Scott Pollard, Hedo, etc had us cheering for every single second of every single game. The height, of course, was the 2001-2002 season when the Kings had the best record in the Western Conference! For those of us who had been sitting in the top two rows cheering our hearts out when the Kings were routinely finishing with 25-35 wins, and were the laughing stock of the NBA, it was more than just a basketball team, it was like members of our family finally succeeding. 

The last six years have been rough, but the city of Sacramento rallied and proved to the the nation why Larry Bird called the Kings fans the best fans in the game way back in 1986. We are the best fans in the game. We support a team that routinely breaks our heart because they represent a city always fighting for respect. Through all of the years, Arco has persevered. An entire city went up around it. No longer is it alone. No longer do people wonder what that random building in the middle of nowhere is when they fly into Sacramento. It has been a landmark, an ugly landmark, but a landmark of our city, and while I am excited to see the full unveiling of the Golden 1 Center, I am going to miss going to Arco to see the Purple and Black, or the Powder Blue and red, or whatever iteration comes next. 

I have too many wonderful memories of Arco to even spill out into this blog, but I do want to highlight one. In the 2000-2001 season my good friend David got two tickets and asked me to go with him. It was early January in 2001. The Phoenix Suns were in town, the Kings, Lakers and Suns were battling it out for supremacy in the Western Division. It was a HUGE game, and four minutes in Chris Webber got himself ejected. I was sure that was it. I did not think Vlade could handle all the middle with all of of Jason Kidd's ability to break Jason Williams down. I made a comment early in the game about not believing in Vlade and the two dudes behind us heard it and for the rest of the game, every time Vlade did anything good, they gave me a hard time about it. As the game went on and those two guys got increasingly more drunk, the comments got more obnoxious until one of them dumped beer all over my hat. I was seconds away from probably getting into a fight when I turned to David who was just laughing about the whole thing. When I asked him why he was laughing he commented on the absurdity of us arguing over Vlade keeping the team in the game. We were all on the same side. It diffused the situation and allowed me to sit and enjoy the rest of the game, which went into overtime and saw the Kings pull out the victory, mostly due to Vlade's free throw shooting. Even though Tony Delk went for over 50 points, somehow, the magical Kings pulled it out.

Thank you Arco Arena for over 25 years of memories, I will cherish them, even the heartbreaking ones. Thank you for giving me a place to watch world class athletes doing world class things.  

No comments:

Post a Comment